11.19.2009

Things that bring joy to my life

I’ve found, after living here, that it is the little things in life that make it fabulous. In case you are curious about how little the things are that bring happiness to my life, here is a list of a few…



Freshly washed sheets paired with freshly washed pajamas


A new podcast on my computer


A hug from my yiey (grandma)


Showers, especially hot ones


A smile from the girl at my most frequented restaurant


The smell of jasmine near my window


Group get-togethers with homemade Western food and lots of entertaining conversation


A question from a student in any language


Velveeta Shells and Cheese


Anything that comes from an oven


Finding email in my inbox after I’ve been away from internet for awhile


Ice


Plum and peppermint foot scrub and vanilla deodorant


Anything that allows me to scrub the grime off of myself


When my yiey says, “Yiey Sralang Jchaio,” or “Grandma loves Granddaughter”


The smell of Protex Propolis Honey scented soap


Pulling my mosquito net down before I sleep


Learning Aussie and British slang


Dancing with the oldest man in my village


Things from the bakery in Sway


A surprise phone call from friends or from abroad


Spicy Thai chili pepper sauce


Brown sugar and the oatmeal that I put it in


Full seasons of TV shows for less than $5


My Ipod


Hearing the word “Cher” (Teacher), instead of “Barang” (French/Foreign)


Exercise


Photographs


Surprising people with my Khmer after I’ve heard them talking about me


Staring back at anyone who is staring at me and watching them get uncomfortable (I practice this in moderation)


Things that bring the opposite of joy to my life


Not that I focus on the negative, but I’ve got to be honest… Some things here bother me almost all the time. And people should know.




Any combination of staring, old dirty men, military clothing, and conversation about the ‘barang’


The above thing in a place that I consistently frequent


Wedding/Funeral/Festival music blaring across the village at 5:00 in the morning


Drunken men with no filter trying to hit on the white gal


Roosters, and the fact that my house has a ton of them


My co-teacher slacking off, as he does more frequently all the time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Things that bring joy to my life - hearing you say any of the following: mate, peckish, breaky, footy and thisarvo (must be said as one word).
Anne