8.06.2008

The first days!!!!


7.24.08
I made it. After an uneventful, though thoroughly tiring trip, I am finally here in Cambodia. The K2 class, along with our luggage and anxieties and bubbling excitement, left the lovely Kabuki hotel early on Monday morning, flying 11 and some odd hours to Tokyo, then another 6 to Bangkok. Bangkok airport staff received us at the airport and we were taken through the bustling passport control before getting a bus that took us to a gorgeous 5-star hotel. By the time we reached the hotel, though, it was about 1:00 in the morning. I gave my tired body a long, hot shower and then took a quick nap before rising to be downstairs by 5. Then we were off to Phnom Penh.

The airplane ride to Phnom Penh was wonderful. Even though the flight was no more than an hour, we were served a huge meal, complete with cold duck and noodles, juice, water, tea, coffee, rolls and a little green jello-like dessert with cheese on top. They served the meal while our plane was still on the incline and practically threw our food to us because of the time restraints. I looked out the window as we reached the airport though, and the rice paddies are as beautiful as they look. A lovely sight.

As we walked off the plane we were greeted by a couple of staff members, then by a huge group of staff and PCVs with banners and fans that they gave us as gifts. We snapped a few pictures and then drove off to the next hotel, a little place in PP. Now, a day later, I am laying in a bed in a guest house in our training hub site. Here, unlike in the other hotels, there is no AC, no toilet paper, and no bathtub. I feel like I have been gradually adjusting to the lack of amenities since San Francisco and I am grateful for that. What is that proverb about the frog and the boiling water? Replace that with extreme humid heat and I am that frog (except for that whole dead part…).

We’ve been asked a few times what our initial reactions are to Cambodia. Hot. But that fan that they gave us is lovely and works wonders. Fantastic Food. Although I’ve yet to get used to a lot of the food here, there is rice and stir-fry and fruit and tea, and at the moment, it is my own personal heaven. Happy People. They smile and the entire country lights up. Plus, we met a few young boys who were so thrilled to meet the barangs and it was beyond adorable. The staff and the PCVs and basically everyone that I have met have been wonderful. Have I mentioned hot yet? The countryside is so pretty, and we saw a few very vivid rainbows after the rains today. I wish I knew the Khmer word for fantastic because Cambodia is that and so much more.

One notable thing from PP was a cruise on the Mekong river. Stunning and great food and good company and dancing as I have never seen dancing before. We were told that the graceful hand and arm movements the women perform are a way to combat the heat while in traditional, semi-arm restricting clothing. They delicately move their hands and arms slowly, gracefully, deliberately, and the way of life is like a dance as well.

No comments: