8.06.2008

New Day, New dolla



7. 26.08
Right now I am listening to the sweet sounds of Quinn and Adrian playing their respective guitar and violin, harmonizing so wonderfully as we enjoy the post-rain evening out on our veranda. We’re all just sitting and enjoying (except for Greg, who is break-dancing in the hallway…he’s the resident Buddhist vegetarian b-boy Iowan…) There are crickets in the background, and another wonderful Khmer meal in my tummy. Tonight, after our basketball court soccer game, I ate some ginger chicken and barbecue chicken on a stick. There was tuk thai, or tea, and bai, or rice, and all kinds of very tasty food.

I’m finding a niche here though. Slowly, but I feel it happening. I’m sitting here in my sarong, enjoying the lovely night and the companionship. I also had a major achievement today; I bought a hat. I realize that to most that that is not much of a celebratory event, but I don’t know numbers past 19, and anything that I would pay for would be in Khmer riel, and therefore at least 500 or 1000 for something. FYI: 4000 is one single dollar and I have paid nothing more than 8,000 for any given meal that I have eaten, and the food is organic and more delicious than anything here in the states. I also speak no useful vending Khmer, so asking ‘how much’ and other sorts of things is not possible. Plus, there is very little English here, and my worse-than-childlike Khmer is not usually understood. Even against all these odds, though, I bought a hat. I went to a local vendor, said hello, and picked out the one that I liked as the rain began to pour. I also bought some laundry soap, which was a lovely adventure with the same woman, strangely still in her bathing sarong with her shoulders bare. I must have been that exciting…because it is extremely rare for a woman to bare her shoulders here, especially after bathing. It is a lovely straw hat with a big green bow and a blue rim. It was also just 4000 riel.

It is a very strange experience to be on time with the sun. I thought my dad was always crazy for being up at 5, but I am beginning to wonder if it is more positive to do so. I see the sunrise, enjoy the cool air, and generally do a lot more when I am awake so early. Plus, I am safe from the more frightening nighttimes here and can enjoy the other volunteers, my new pseudo-family members. I’m trying to remember why I ever wanted to sleep in until 12 the next day. It must be the new crowd of people. In fact, its about 10 30 and the bed a few feet away is sounding pretty darn good. I have to wake up tomorrow and begin the adventures of laundering my own clothing. It should be quite a fun time.

No comments: