10.24.2009

Ants Ants Ants


So, I’ve lived here for a few months over a year now. I love it; I feel healthy and generally pretty relaxed, I am happy and less focused on the minute details that seemed to take over my life back at home, and I feel like I am devoted to learning here. I just discovered a few new podcasts from howstuffworks.com, all about interesting history, science, politics, inventions, you name it, and I’m filling my brain full of knowledge. It feels great, and I’m actually able to devote time to it without being distracted at the time I am losing. Cambodia has slowed me down, thank God.

Anyway, my knowledge is not what I am devoting this blog to… Instead, I thought I would share a few fun facts about Cambodia with you.
This girl... who lives at the restaurant that I frequent... is currently learning how to walk.

There are some nasty ants here, who like all manner of things that I find a bit unusual. I have found them in the strangest things, which always upsets me given their tendency to bit me when I try to remove them from said thing. Their bites hurt worse than mosquito bites and make me more than uncomfortable. What are they into, you ask? Well let me give you a list…

I have found ants in the following places:
In and around my fiber supplement.
Inside my jars of peanut butter.
In the peppermint and plum foot scrub I have in the bathroom.
In my dose of one-a-day women’s multivitamins.
Eating chocolate.
In my containers of cotton swabs.
Pouring out of my light socket.
Filing out of my medical kit with my throat lozenges.
Diving into my damp clothes, most especially underwear.
In the trash can after Styrofoam donut boxes and any number of other things…
Chewing on bread.
On top of my bedside light.
In my pancake mix box.
In my bed.
Eating any number of dead insects.
In Deidre's Face Wash.
Eating pancake batter from Anne's stove.

Allow me to simplify… I hate ants and how much they like the same things I do.

In other news, I received my first invitation that was just for me and not just for my family. It is to a “becoming a monk” party for the siblings of one of my students. It was a fabulous little party... and the monk looked very pretty!

Most recently acquired fun fact from my podcasts…white-out was created by a Texan secretary and patented in 1958 because new typewriters were difficult to type with and hard to erase. She thought like a painter and the other secretaries began asking how she did it… amazing!

No comments: