10.15.2009

My Birthday!

I recently celebrated my second birthday in Cambodia… As my best friend said, “It’s 23, an unexciting age… Good thing you have Cambodia to make it memorable.” I had to agree. I’ve never really expected much from the birthday, at least as far as friends were concerned. It always seemed to fall at an inconvenient time… right after school began, when I didn’t know many people… Or around the time of a show in theatre. I didn’t even go out on my 21st…I was holed up in a theatre for the entire day! But this year, my birthday was amazing. Part of that, I think, is the fact that Cambodia and my life of non-stimulation make a lot of less-than-thrilling things pretty phenomenal. However, in this case, I think it would be great on any continent…

The birthday this year fell on a Thursday – which means that I had to go to school for a few hours. I went after a lovely breakfast at my favorite restaurant interjected with a States-side phone call (Thanks, Mom!). After going to school as usual, I may or may not have had a confrontation with my co-teacher because he wanted to not attend the 2 hours of class (the only 2 hours of class) that he and I had that day. I suppose I should have been excited about that, but he’s been getting flaky and we already get enough vacation time… almost to the point where the vacations outnumber the actual school days. Also, the day before had been a bit rough with me fielding some stranger danger harassment, and I wanted some student interaction to cheer me up. We ended up finishing our few hours of class, had a short, though heated, discussion about life and teaching and responsibility, and I went home for some rest. It isn’t often that I have to work that hard in a day.

I had a pleasant lunch with one of my favorite dishes (beef stew) which we subsequently had for dinner that evening, watched some episodes of the office and indulged in some purely only-child behavior… I re-organized photos and music on my computer. It was almost as good as organizing crayons like I did when I was younger. Side note: Dan, the other resident pseudo-only-child in the province told me that he used to organize and reorganize baseball cards – something about teams vs. card numbers – and we bonded over our OCD behavior.

I did take a short break from this exciting work… to make something even more exciting… BROWNIES! Now, I know I have mentioned before how much I miss things like that – basically anything involving an oven is non-existent here. But these I made in my house, with a big pot, a small tin cup, and a prayer, and it actually worked. We call it a Dutch Oven here, though the local Dutch folk have never heard of such a silly thing. And it worked surprisingly well, producing a nice batch of brownies that even the grandmas liked. Awesome. I lit a candle and blew it out with my family as they looked on in something akin to shock and confusion. I then proceeded to eat way too many brownies (despite my efforts to share) and get a tummy ache. It was so worth it.

And then… Friday.

On Friday I went down to Dan’s for a party that he was having with students from a club he had over the summer. They cooked a big (big!) pot of soup, some fried ribs with pineapple, and grilled fish at his place and enjoyed a big group lunch together. It was lovely, and improved with the fact that I had picked up a package at the post office before I came over and opened it while they were cooking. We’re saving the asparagus and cinnamon apples (!) until Thanksgiving, I think, but we tore through the chocolate and watched the movie immediately. Dan and Anthony did not appreciate Unaccompanied Minors as I do… maybe we’ll have to watch it closer to Christmas ;) I also received a lovely card from Deidre (hand-made!) with pictures from all the time I’ve been here collaged together on scented paper. I was so excited!!

More people filtered into Dan’s place as the night went on, and soon the majority of the Banteay Meanchey crew was there, as well as Matt, who came all the way up from Kampot (that’s way south, on the beach) to celebrate with us. The boys played Risk and the girls played cards and we kept ourselves segregated for the evening.

Saturday – the big party.

Saturday was a pretty busy day, well, relatively speaking. There was rice and pork for breakfast (Imagine a small restaurant with seven foreigners in it; two of them over 6 feet tall…ha!). Followed by cleaning and shopping. Followed by a nap. Followed by cooking. Some people also played Risk (Boys only). It was excellent.

The menu:
Starters –
Spinach Cheese Dip made with morning glory and laughing cow cheese served with shredded baguettes that were toasted with olive oil.

Mashed Potato Mayonnaise Veggie Dip served with chopped carrots and cucumbers.

Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil Dip served with French bread.

Peanuts.

Main Course –
Beef and Onion or Black Bean burgers served with sliced French bread and a selection of condiments including ketchup, mustard, lettuce, onions, and tomatoes.

Desert –
Banoffee Pie (British desert with a sweet bread base, banana layers, and reduced condensed milk slathered all over it)

Birthday Cake!!! It maybe had the wrong date written on it, but at least my name was spelled right!

Drinks –
Beer, beer, beer, and beer.

Beer Pong was also involved, which was great for our two non-American guests. Anna (Britain) and Anne (Australia) made up a very special team called “the commonwealth minus New Zealand” and tried to distract us by explaining cricket and Aussie rules football (which is just a fancy was of saying that there are no rules) and did fairly well with their first attempt at American frat house life! I partnered with Anthony and we are undefeated – Go Team America F*** Ya! We drank and chatted into the late night (almost 1:00!) and everything was wonderful.

It was a phenomenal birthday… there were tons of good friends (The Banteay Meanchay 7 + Matt + Adrian, Steph, and Will from Siem Reap), more food than I’ve ever seen, and a lot of great games, not to mention gifts and cake!

No comments: